Think that sign language is exclusive to deaf people...think again. Sign language is becoming a very popular tool in communicating with babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers. Before an infant develops the ability to form language/vocalization skills, they do possess the ability to make simple signs with their hands. The secret to success is being consistent with the infant in your signing and not just whenever you remember to do it. Signing is effective as it relieves the infant of a lot of frustration because of an inability to communicate on an adults level...sign language levels the verbal playing field. This leads to a happier baby. Among the most used signs are; milk, water, all done, more, stop, eat, love you. I've been interested in infant sign language since 2004 when I first encountered it and have been observing its effectiveness ever since that time. There are many board books about signing for babies and many for adults to learn from and I think the difference is more about how the adult learns than which book is the best. An often recommended book is Stacy A. Thompson's "Teach Your Tot To Sign: A Guide To American Sign Language." which is available on amazon. It is a bit of sadness to me that I did not know this when I was raising my own children as I would have used it back then. I have recommended it to my daughter Carrie for her soon to be born baby. Happy signing everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment